This vegan kale pistachio pesto beautifully blends ruffly leaves of kale and sweet basil, pistachios and crumbly cashews, under the gentle guidance of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
From a nutritional perspective, certain therapeutic foods are known for their cardiovascular benefits, including extra-virgin olive oil which contains polyphenols that offer an anti-inflammatory effect, as well as greens such as basil and kale, which contain nitrates that act as vasodilators.
Vegan Kale Pistachio Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1/8 cup dry-roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon cashew seed crumble (recipe below)
- 1/8 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/3 cup Lucini extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Cashew Seed Crumble (1 tablespoon will be used for the pesto)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground garlic powder
Begin by preparing the cashew cheese crumble. While this recipe requires only 1 tablespoon of the cashew cheese crumble, the rest can be enjoyed with many other of my recipes including my bell pepper cashew sauce, flatbread, and sweet potato bolognese, to name a few. Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, seeds, salt and garlic powder in a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Store the rest of the cashew cheese crumble in the refrigerator.
Place the washed and prepared kale and basil in a food processor and pulse until the greens are finely chopped. Add the pistachios, 1 tablespoons cashew cheese crumble, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice. Blend until completely incorporated.
Store in the refrigerator for immediate use, or freeze for future feasting.
Disclaimer: Material presented on this website should not be considered medical advice. Always speak to your qualified health provider to determine what’s right for your health plan.