This fragrant dal will transport you to a brighter, warmer world within minutes. A vibrant union of sweet potato chunks and exotic spices frame split red lentils steeped in a rich vegetable stock. A few enlightened spoonfuls will awaken your mind and breathe life into any dreary day.
Sweet Potato Dal:
- 1-2 tablespoons organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 organic yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato or garnet yam, peeled and finely diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon organic ground corinader
- 1 teaspoon organic caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons organic ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1 cup organic dried red split lentils
- 3 1/2 cups bone broth or vegetable stock (I recommend Kettle & Fire Bone Broth and Enginge 2 Plant Strong Vegetable stock: transparency of ingredients, no additives or natural flavors)
- Himalayan pink or Celtic sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Short grain brown-rice for dal pairing
- Large saucepan (for soup)
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the sweet potato and sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Add the coriander, caraway seeds, turmeric, and ginger and stir until coated.
Add the lentils and vegetable stock. Raise the heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook uncovered until the lentils and potatoes are soft, about 30-35 minutes.
Remove the dal from heat and use a whisk or fork to further break down and thicken the mixture. Depending on texture preference, add another 1/2 cup vegetable stock and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes if too thick.
Season with salt and pepper, as necessary.
Plate with short-grain brown rice and serve hot.