This salty cashew seed seasoning is reminiscent of crumbly parmesan in texture and cheesy taste, courtesy of the unique flavor of nutritional yeast. Equally intriguing is the addition of dried kelp flakes, which adds saltiness from the sea.
Salty Cashew Seed Seasoning:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or seaweed salt alternative (see notes for disclaimer and details)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground garlic powder
- Food processor
First, place the raw cashews, nutritional yeast, seeds, salt (or salt alternative) and garlic powder in the food processor. Then, pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Finally, store this seasoning in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy this seasoning in several of my recipes, including my bell pepper sauce, my flatbread, and my sweet potato noodle bolognese. Additionally, add this seasoning to any savory dish for extra crunch.
Nutrition & Notes:
- Seaweeds have an impressive nutrient profile, with properties that impact many systems in your body, including your metabolic, digestive and thyroid health; therefore, it’s important to speak to your doctor or qualified health provider to determine what’s right for your bio-individual needs before making any changes to your diet.
- Consider source and quality when selecting seaweeds. For example, choose certified organic brands of seaweeds to ensure quality product from safe waters without heavy metal contamination. The brand Maine Coast Vegetables, for example, is commonly found in health food stores.
Material presented on this website should not be considered medical advice, nor should it be treated as such. Always speak to your doctor or qualified health provider to determine what’s right for your health plan before making changes to your diet or treatment plan.