Layer by layer, this raw fruit tart delights with competing textures and complex tastes. Its crumbly date-almond base and creamy vanilla-cashew filling gently cradles thick slices of burgundy plums and yellow, juicy pluots. I can’t quite fathom how such simplicity of ingredients can amount to this explosive flavor.
Raw Plum Tart:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup raw dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons organic ground flax seeds
Cashew Cream Filling:
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nut milk (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar (or raw honey)
- 2 tablespoons organic unrefined coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
Seasonal Fruit of Choice:
- 8-10 plums, sliced thickly
- 12-inch tart pan with removable bottom
- Food processor
Place the cashews and a dash of salt in a large bowl and cover with water, letting the nuts sit uncovered, overnight. If this step is forgotten, pour boiling water over the nuts and let them sit for 1 hour. Rinse and drain the nuts.
To make the crust, blend the almonds, walnuts, and flax seeds in a food processor, until a fine meal is formed. Add the dates and pulse until fully incorporated. Press the mixture evenly into a 12 inch tart mold and refrigerate.
Meanwhile, blend the drained cashews in a food processor until creamy. Add the nut milk, coconut nectar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon until the mixture is smooth, but thick. Spread the cashew cream across the surface of your tart crust and refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
Slice or arrange your preferred fruit across the surface of your tart. Refrigerate until ready to serve.