A note to those with a tendency towards the obsessive: this salad is highly addictive. An enticing display of finely chopped kale and basil, speckled with sprouted quinoa, roasted pistachios and scallions, then tossed with olive oil and a fresh lemon squeeze will leave you salivating for more, long after your last bite.
Pistachio Quinoa Salad:
Serves 2-4 (depending on full meal or side salad)
- 6 cups finely chopped organic kale
- 2 cups finely chopped organic basil
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and divided in half
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa (preferably sprouted) (optional)
- 1 pear, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely diced
- 2/3 cup dry-roasted salt-free pistachios, chopped coarsely
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Finely chop the kale and basil and place in a bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale and basil, helping the leaves to break down further by wilting. Add half of the avocado and massage the fruit into the salad for a creamy coating.
Add the cooked quinoa, sliced pear and diced scallions and toss gently. Top with the remaining avocado (diced or sliced) and chopped pistachios. Finish with additional salt and a crack of freshly ground pepper if desired.