A twist on the classic turkey-cranberry combination, this paleo turkey cherry stew is bursting with vibrant red-fruit flavors, paired with subtle earthy undertones of purple carrots, jeweled yams and sweet onions. Pair this delicious dinner with my gluten-free shortbread pumpkin ganache tart for dessert, creating the ultimate Thanksgiving meal.
Paleo Turkey Cherry Stew Ingredients:
- 2 lbs organic boneless turkey breast roast
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 16 ounce package of organic frozen dark sweet cherries
- 2 cups honey-sweetened (or unsweetened) dried cranberries
- 3 cups sliced purple carrots, ~1/2 inch thick rounds
- 3 cups jeweled yams, peeled and cubed, ~ 3/4 inch
- 1 white onion, medium dice
- 1 cup Kettle & Fire chicken bone broth
Seasoning post cooking:
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (more to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped scallions and lemon zest for toppings (optional)
- Slow-cooker (such as Crockpot)
Place the turkey breast roast at the bottom of your crockpot. If the turkey roast has skin, keep the skin on the bird during the cooking process for a richer flavor. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary and dried thyme directly on the turkey breast. Place the frozen cherries, cranberries, chopped carrots, yams, and onion on top of the turkey. Pour the bone broth into the crockpot. Depending on the size of your slow cooker, you’ll want at least two inches of space between the stew ingredients and the top of the slow cooker for optimal steam and cooking. If this is not the case, you may need to pack down the ingredients with a large spoon.
Set the crockpot to low and the cooking time to 7.5 hours. If desired, every few hours use a serving spoon to mix up the vegetables and fruit in the crockpot, ensuring even cooking throughout.
At 7.5 hours, temporarily remove the turkey breast from the crockpot and slice the turkey into large pieces, or shred the meat to your preferred size. At this point remove any turkey skin that remains. Return the meat to the crockpot, incorporating the slices into the vegetable-fruit medley. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
To season the stew, add 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Optionally, top with chopped scallions and lemon zest. Serve hot.
If reheating the stew, consider adding additional bone broth to prevent dryness.