Three simple layers are all you need to make your dreams of chocolate come true. Deconstructed, it’s hard to determine which is more appealing: the flaky shortbread crust, the smooth layer of minty ganache reserved for any icy center, or the fluffy coconut-cacao frosting with endless possibilities for embellishments, including spikes of dried lavender.
- 1 3/4 cups organic almond flour
- 1/4 cup 100% raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons organic unrefined coconut oil, melted
- Pink of pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon organic peppermint extract (this offers a potent flavor for mint lovers, use 1/2 teaspoon for reduced mint flavor)
- 1 cup organic 100% raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 11-13 ounce can of organic coconut cream (no additives; ounces depends on brand)
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted, unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup 100% raw cacao powder
- Oven: preheated to 350 degrees
- 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom
- Food processor
- Handheld Mixer or KitchenAid
Prep: To make the frosting, whisk the coconut cream, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and raw cacao powder until fully incorporated in a small bowl. An immersion blender can help with blending, if necessary. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours to harden (ideally making one day in advance for best results).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan (with removable bottom) with extra coconut oil. To make the crust, mix together the flour, cacao powder, salt, syrup and coconut oil in a food processor or knead the ingredients together in a bowl. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the tart pan.
Bake the dough for approximately 18-20 minutes, until firm to the touch. The baked shell can be made up to one day in advance and kept, wrapped, at room temperature.
To make the ganache, blend the syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and peppermint extract, and salt in a food processor until smooth. Add in the raw cacao and mix thoroughly. Pour the ganache into the tart shell, smoothing the surface of the chocolate with a spatula.
Remove the hardened frosting from the fridge. Use a handheld mixer (or KitchenAid) to beat the concoction, making it as fluffy as possible. Spread the frosting across the top of the ganache.
Arrange dried lavender or fresh mint leaves on top of the frosting for decoration.
Return the tart to the refrigerator and let it set for at least 30 minutes before serving.