This steaming bowl of brown rice will captivate the attention of anyone nearby, with its refreshing aroma of lemon juice and zest, floral notes of dried thyme and the robust scents of sautéed garlic and crisped shallots. The only question is, one fork or two?
Lemon-Thyme Brown Rice:
- 3 cups cooked organic short-grain brown rice (best if cold) such as Lundberg
- Organic, extra virgin olive oil, such as Lucini
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 organic lemon, washed, zested and juiced
- Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Large saucepan
- Large bowl
Prepare and set aside 3 cooked cups of brown rice (usually made from 1 cup dry rice).
Coat a large saucepan with olive oil and heat on medium-high. Add the thyme, garlic, and shallot, and sauté for a few minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat, then add the lemon zest and juice.
In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice and the prepared dressing together until fully incorporated.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.