This kale apple chicken salad transforms a simple meal into an artistic experience, featuring dark leafy greens, rotisserie chicken, red apple, sticky date segments, toasted almonds and avocado swirl, transforming a simple meal into an artistic experience.
Kale Apple Chicken Salad:
Serves 2-4 (depending on full meal or side salad)
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see below)
- 6 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (such as Lucini Italia)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and divided in half
- 1/2 cup rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken
- 2 large Medjool dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 apple, cored, small dice or thinly sliced
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Oven: preheated to 350 degrees F
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
To toast the almonds, first preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the almonds evenly across the surface. Toast for 8-10 minutes. When the almonds have cooled, coarsely chop the nuts, then set aside.
To prepare the salad, finely chop the kale and place in a bowl. Next, add the olive oil, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale, helping the leaves to break down further by wilting. As you work the kale, add half of the avocado and massage the fruit into the salad for a creamy coating.
Add the chicken, dates, and apple. Toss gently. Finally, top with the remaining avocado (diced or arranged) and toasted almonds. Finish with additional salt and a crack of freshly ground pepper if desired.
To make the optional avocado rose, work with one avocado half, with skin and pit removed. Place the half concave-side down and thinly slice the avocado, careful to keep the overall shape intact. Place your hands on either side of the avocado and begin to elongate the slices, sliding your hands in opposite directions and pressing gently on each side. Once the avocado slices are completely elongated, choose one end and start to carefully roll it towards the opposite end, which ultimately creates a “petal” look. Consider watching a few videos online to perfect your technique.
- Look for olive oil brands such as Lucini Italia, which contain 100% olives (no other oils are blended to dilute the product).