Frosted carrot spice muffins add charm to any celebratory morning, beginning with a dollop of creamy cashew frosting and moving down to unsweetened shredded coconut and carrots, Medjool dates, and pecans that blend together in a delicate base enhanced with warming spices and speckled with plump golden raisins.
Raw Vegan Carrot Muffins:
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 3 cups shredded carrots (buy packaged for convenience)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 & 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons water (if the carrots are dry)
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened golden raisins
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked according to directions, with a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup homemade cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Oven: preheated to 375 degrees F
- Food processor
- Muffin tin and paper liners
Place the cashews and a pinch of salt salt in a medium bowl and add as much water as needed to completely cover the nuts. Soak the nuts for a minimum of 2 hours and a maximum of 4 hours. If the soaking water becomes thick and gelatinous, the nuts have been soaked for too long. Drain and rinse the nuts. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roast the whole pecans for 8-10 minutes, or until toasted. Set aside to cool, then chop roughly (big pieces desired). Skip this step if following a true raw-vegan recipe; however, I find that the flavor of toasted pecans is ideal for this recipe.
Mix the shredded carrots, coconut, spices and salt in a food processor until smooth. If the mixture is dry (this depends on whether the shredded carrots were packaged with or without water) add 2 tablespoons water to further bind the ingredients. Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Fold in the pecan pieces, chopped dates, and golden raisins.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon the mixture evenly into the liners and press down firmly. Refrigerate.
Place all the frosting ingredients in the food processor and blend continuously for several minutes until thick and smooth. Add additional liquid if necessary, still maintaining a thick texture. For a fluffier texture, use a handheld mixer (with two beaters).
Spread the frosting across the top of the muffins, sprinkle on additional carrots, nuts, or coconut flakes, and let the treats sit in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- When choosing coconut oil brands, consider Nutiva or Trader Joe’s unrefined coconut oil.