Dark sweet cherry sauce, enhanced with a hint of orange juice, offers the delicious simplicity of stewed fruit: an ideal topping for savory dishes or deserving treats.
Dark Sweet Cherry Sauce:
- 16 ounce package of frozen dark, sweet cherries
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (to thicken)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Small saucepan
- Big spoon
Place the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Set a timer for 20 minutes. As the mixture bubbles and simmers, use a big spoon to mash the fruit together. Depending on your desired consistency of the end result, you may do this only once or several times.
The sauce can be enjoyed warm, especially if paired with meat dishes, or as a cold topping to sweet treats. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for later use.
- When purchasing frozen dark sweet cherries, look for brands such as Woodstock organic frozen fruit.
- Pair this sauce with my delicious banana nicecream or a poultry dish of your choice.
- Cherries and other red fruits are bursting with phytonutrients, beneficial compounds found in plant foods that are anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer by nature. Red plant foods in particular can support gastrointestinal, heart, hormone, liver, and cellular health.
Disclaimer: Material presented on this website should not be considered medical advice. Always speak to your doctor or qualified health provider to determine what’s right for your health plan.