Chocolate mousse ‘gelato’ is an elegant dairy-free alternative to its Italian cousin, sweetened with dates, creamy with coconut milk.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped dates (~10 small dates)
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (no guar gum)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (alcohol-free is ideal)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup 100% raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- High-powered blender (such as a Vitamix)
- Ice cream maker
Begin preparing the mousse the night before serving. Place the cashews and dates in a bowl and cover with water, covering the nuts and dried fruit completely, and soaking overnight. If you forget this step, soak the cashews and dates for at least 4 hours the day of mousse making. After soaking, drain and rinse the cashews and dates, discarding the water.
In a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, blend all the mousse ingredients on high for one minute, or until completely smooth and creamy.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, churning according to the maker’s instructions. Top with fresh fruit and serve immediately or freeze for future use.