A twist on the classic turkey-cranberry combination, this hearty slow-cooked stew is bursting with vibrant red-fruit flavors, paired with subtle earthy undertones of purple potatoes and onions.
- 2 lbs. organic boneless turkey breast roast
- 10 ounce package of frozen dark sweet cherries (such as the 365 organic brand), thawed
- 1/4 cup red wine, pomegranate juice, or water
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground garlic powder
- 1 organic purple sweet potato, medium dice
- 1 large red onion, medium dice
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Slow-cooker (such as a Crockpot)
Let the package of frozen cherries thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or come to room temperature just before preparing the crockpot.
Place the turkey breast roast at the bottom of the crockpot. Pour the chosen liquid (wine, pomegranate juice or water) and entire bag of now-thawed cherries, including juice, over the turkey. Add the salt and spices.
Chop the purple sweet potato and red onion in a medium dice and place in the crockpot. Add the unsweetened cranberries on top.
Place the lid on the crockpot and set on low, cooking for 7.5 hours. Remove the turkey breast from the crockpot and slice the turkey into large pieces, or shred the meat as best you can. Return to the crockpot, incorporating the slices into the vegetable-fruit medley. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Serve hot. If reheating the dish, consider adding additional water to prevent dryness.