A generous smear of this chive-cashew concoction pairs nicely with crisp crudités or crunchy crackers made entirely of seeds. Resembling a thick batch of hummus, this creamy spread with earthy flavors and a snap of garlic is a sensational substitute for the classic cheese plate.
Chive Cashew Cheese:
- 1 cup raw cashews, covered and soaked overnight (directions below)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup organic chives, chopped finely
- Celtic sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Crunchy seed crackers (see recipe)
- Choice of organic, freshly cut crudités
- Food processor
Measure out 1 cup of cashews and place in a medium bowl. Fill the bowl with water and a pinch of salt. Let the cashews soak, uncovered, overnight. If you forget this step, boil water and pour over the hard cashews. Let the nuts sit in the hot water for at least 1 hour.
Drain the soaked cashews and rinse with water. Place the cashews, filtered water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and garlic in a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the yeast and dry mustard and continue to mix until fully incorporated. Remove the concoction and place in a bowl. Fold in the chopped chives, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.