Nothing bewitches the palate quite like a steaming bowl of butternut coconut cream bisque, sweetened with fruit and seasoned with warming spices.
Butternut Coconut Cream Bisque:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (~5 cups)
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 apple, core discarded, cut into quarters
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 13.5 ounce can coconut cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Oven: Preheated to 425 degrees
- 2 Baking Sheets Lined with Parchment Paper
- High-Powered Blender or Handheld Immersion Blender
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
To prepare the butternut squash, wash, then carefully slice off and discard the bottom and top of the squash. Poke several holes in the hard skin with a fork. Place the squash in the microwave and heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave and easily peel the warmed squash.
Cut the squash in half, lengthwise, then scoop out the seeds, discarding them. Chop the squash into chunks and place in a bowl. Add the peeled onion, cut into eighths, and the quartered apple slices. Toss with coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Spread the tossed vegetables and fruit across two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Roast for 40 minutes.
Working in batches depending on the size of your blender, place the roasted vegetables/fruit, vegetable stock, coconut cream, orange juice and spices in your high-powered blender and blend until smooth and velvety. If the vegetables/fruits aren’t blending seamlessly with your liquids, you may need to first heat the combined liquids in a small saucepan over the stove, as coconut cream can congeal if it’s too cold, making blending difficult.
Serve the blended bisque hot and top with finely chopped greens or a splash of additional coconut cream.
- Look for brands like Plant 2 Engine Strong for vegetable stock, or make your own with the help of Rebecca Katz’s amazing magic mineral-broth recipe.
- Look for brands such as Let’s do Organic Coconut Cream, which does not contain any additives or emulsifiers.
Disclaimer: Material presented on this website should not be considered medical advice. Always speak to your doctor or qualified health provider to determine what’s right for your health plan.