Vibrant in color and robust in flavor, this vegan bell pepper sauce is both smoky and sweet, with all the creaminess of cashew cheese.
Bell Pepper Sauce:
- 2 organic red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoons raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or Maine Coast Vegetables Kelp Seasoning Salt Alternative
- 2 tablespoons organic, extra virgin olive oil (extra for roasting the bell peppers)
- Oven: preheated to 475 degrees
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Food processor
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
Wash the bell peppers, then cut off the tops as close to the stem as possible. Discard the stems. Cut the bell peppers into quarters, removing the seeds. Toss the segments with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, then spread the pieces across a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping once, or until charred.
Meanwhile, mix the cashews, seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor into a fine meal.
While the peppers are still warm, mix them and the cashew mixture in the same food processor until fully incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons of additional olive oil for a richer mouthfeel. Season with extra salt, if necessary.
The spread can be used as a sauce for legume pasta or as a hummus-style dip for seed crackers.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.