Morsels of baked spiced apple slices and toasted pecans, swimming in maple-coconut syrup mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, offer the best part of a pie or crisp without the crust.
Baked Spiced Apple Slices:
- 4 cups sliced apples (approximately 5 apples)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 6×8 glass baking dish (a larger dish works as well, more surface area will reduce baking time).
- Baking sheet
- Oven: preheated to 350 degrees F.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Begin by spreading the chopped pecans across a baking sheet. Toast the nuts for 11 minutes until golden brown. Then, set the baking sheet aside to cool the nuts.
While the pecans are toasting, thinly slice the apples, about 1/8 inch thick. Place the sliced apples in the baking dish. Do not peel the apples (the peel is the most nutrient-dense part of the fruit).
Next, mix the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Pour the mixture over the apple slices, tossing the fruit for even distribution.
Bake the sliced apples for 50 minutes, then remove from the oven. Add the toasted pecans and toss the fruit and nuts together to coat in any juices collecting at the bottom of the baking dish. Finally, return the dish to the oven for another 30 minutes.
Serve these baked spiced apple slices hot.