A masterpiece of complex flavors, this roasted eggplant spread showcases subtle notes of toasted sesame and smoky paprika, followed by a snap of fresh lemon and pungent persistence of minced garlic. The occasional juicy pop of a bursting pomegranate seed lingers momentarily on the palate, enhanced by thick slices of refreshing cucumber, ideal for scooping.
- 2 organic medium eggplants
- Organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large organic garlic clove, minced
- Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Organic ground paprika, to taste
- 1/4 cup organic fresh pomegranate seeds, extra for topping
- 1 organic cucumber, cut into thin slices
- Oven: preheated to 450 degrees
- Food processor
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Wash and dry the eggplants. Coat with olive oil and place on a glass baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until charred.
Once the eggplants have cooled completely, peel the vegetable, cut in half and remove any large clumps of seeds if possible. Discard the skin. Place the eggplant in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of tahini, as well as the lemon juice, garlic, salt, and a sprinkle of paprika (if desired) and mix thoroughly. Fold the pomegranate seeds into the spread, and top with additional seeds.
Plate with thin slices of cucumbers.